Dr Douiri, along with colleagues, has published a protocol in BMJ Open titled: ‘OPTIMUM: a protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing Out Patient Talc slurry via Indwelling pleural catheter for Malignant pleural effusion vs Usual inpatient Management’.
Key Strengths and Limitations from the study were highlighted:
- This is the first prospective randomised con- trolled trial primarily comparing quality of life (QoL) outcomes between inpatient and out- patient treatment pathways for malignant pleural effusion.
- The primary outcome measure is clinically relevant.
- Patients with non-expandable lung are also included in the study.
- The study represents real life presentation and management.
- A limitation is that patients with poor perform- ance status are not included and only patients with potential for ambulatory management are included. However, to include those patient groups a separate study design to answer that specific question will have to be conducted.